Sewing notions can be a bit personal, some have tried and true (TNT) brands they stick by like Clover, Bohn and Dritz. Your favorite brand of notions may not be mine but I always love hearing about new tools and gadgets so feel free to share in the comments.
I like xyz company and my well respected peer likes abc. Neither are wrong and everyone’s milage may vary. Here are some of the items that I use for almost every project:
- Thread snips by Gingher (any brand will do and truth be told these are a bit heavy)
- Metal seam gauge (I like metal because I can press very close to it without melting it)
- Magnetic pin holder (mine needs replacing after too many sky diving trips)
- Pattern weights small and LARGE (I made these book ends filled with rice but they get more use as pattern weights now that my book case is filled)
- Tape measure (retractable is fine but you need something flexible to circle your entire body)
- Clover’s erasable pen (blue, purple or pink this thing is so much better than the dressmakers pencil or pens I have found in the big box store’s notions)
- Glass head pins (you can press on them without melting!)
- Super clips or Wonder clips or whatever they are called when you can’t pin the substrate (like leather or vinyl) these are handy.
- Blue painter’s tape, I use it to mark what pieces are where or in bra making what is up, down, right or left. Mostly keeps me from making two of the same cups or pant legs, mostly.
- Seam ripper, it happens to all of us beginner to advanced. I like the blade one’s but either type will do.
What do you find useful while sewing?